Being present in your own life is difficult for most people living today. People spend a lot of time worrying about what they cannot change and planning their next moves in life. Grief, worry, anxiety, and fear are common emotions that interfere with being present in the moment. How can an individual learn to be present in his or her own life?
What Does Being Present Mean?
Learning how to be present in the moment starts with understanding what it means. It means paying attention to what is going on around you at the present moment. It does not mean interfering with what is happening, just being there and experiencing the moment.
Seven Ideas for Being Present in the Moment
Becoming mindful of what is happening around you takes effort and persistence. Here are seven ideas you can use to start cultivating mindfulness in your life:
- Practice daily gratitude – The mind undergoes an actual change when you start searching out things to be grateful for. Instead of always seeing problems, you start seeing solutions.
- Reduce distractions – Trying to do more than one thing at one time means your focus is split. Eliminating distractions and focusing on a single thing allows you to be present in the moment.
- Reflect on your day – Focus on the positive things that happened during the day. This encourages positive thinking and discourages negative thoughts.
- Get physical – Take a walk around the block. Practice yoga. Focus on your breathing. All of these cultivate being present in the moment.
- Shift your focus to others – Helping others gets us outside our own minds and into the present moment. It cultivates inner peace and more happiness.
- Learn to listen – Many people spend a lot of time worrying about how they are going to respond during a conversation, instead of listening to what the person is actually saying. Learning to truly listen means staying in the moment.
- Identify what is happening in the moment – Ask yourself questions about what is around you. Where are you? How are you feeling? What do you see (or hear or smell)?
Use any or all of these ideas to start being present in your own life. To succeed requires patience, dedication, and energy. But, it is time and energy well spent.